Friday, March 1, 2013

The Distractable Mind

Let's talk about distractions. Distracted mind? Yep that's me! Before you say "Well, you have 5 little kids. Of course you're distracted!" hear me out on this one. I would love to shift the blame to the business of a busy home, but I can't. I've always been this way.  Forgot to hand in my homework? Yes. Not listening in class? What? I didn't even realize someone was speaking! Forgot my baseblall glove? Oops. When was that play/basketball practice/Sunday school commitment again? My desk was always a mess because I always searching for the protractor that I put 'somewhere so I wouldn't lose it'. Heck, ask my sisters, I even forgot to screw the tops back on bottles and jars before I thought "Aw! look at that robin out there on that tree!" and lost myself to the window.  Hobby Lobby.... all those bright colors, sounds and smells...sigh..I could spend $100 and an hour then realize I have absolutely no idea what I went in there for!

Don't feel bad for me, I've come to terms with it. In fact in can be one of my strengths as a mom with a large family. I can bounce from activity to activity without a type A personality condemning me for not getting all my tasks done (I don't remember why they were so important anyway!). During play we can shift from privateers to fly fishermen, to astronauts, to safari hunters at the drop of a hat. Go from making breakfast, to potty-help, to 'help me write the word 'fantastic'" without pause. The flexibility helps me to stay sane in a house full of little ones: never are we a slave to an unbreakable schedule.  That isn't to say we don't have a reliable goal of a schedule every day, or that a big family can survive without some organization.  We use homemade chore packs ( or get ready made http://www.chorepacks.com/) and rely on some methods from Large Family Logistics (http://www.amazon.com/Large-Family-Logistics-Kim-Brenneman/dp/1934554499). It just means we must prioritize our distractions and realize our imperfection and make a great effort to overcome our tendencies or weakness.  Thus my reason for dismissing my Facebook account for the month of February. Re-prioritization. So much about faith and growing has been revealed through my Facebook Sabbatical. I am so thankful God had laid that desire on my heart.

Have I ever forgotten to turn in my child's permission slip on time? Absolutely(Thank God for graceful and forgiving teachers!).  Been late for practice because we lost track of time? Sure. Sent my children out the door with mismatched socks? You bet! Forgotten to return a voice mail? Without a doubt. Am I proud of it? No.  I can say, however, I haven never forgotten to listen to my children's kindergarten days in detail, their hopes, fears, jokes and trials; their bad dreams and requests for another story. I can say we lost track of time because we were too busy playing and growing. I can say I chose not to match socks because I was too busy encouraging, holding and discovering their hearts. I haven't been too distracted by my lack of organization that I couldn't stop cleaning the kitchen to create a baking soda volcano for my budding scientists, knowing it would create a huge eruption and an even huger mess. I haven't gotten so distracted by organization that I don't allow messy, chaotic help in the kitchen, or chores to be done ''the wrong way". We aren't so bound to a schedule we can't take walks on a Feburary day when the sun finally decides to come out, or stay up late when Daddy works a long day.

I could get down on myself because I am not naturally driven to be organized and struggle for consistency, but instead, I am so thankful for my distractable mind, and am a happy momma because of it.  The Lord blessed me with distractability because He knew He would bless me with these 5 incredible, fulfilling blessings, who would need plenty of flexibility.  My calling is to grow the Bigglets into happy, responsible, loving servants of Christ.  All that comes from a happy home, not a perfectly organized clean one.

Spring is a time for new growth. I encourage all of us to seek some re-prioritization this time of year. Lets aim to "Spring Clean" not only our homes but our hearts. I would love to hear your own personal spring goals. Blessings!

No comments: