Sunday, December 16, 2012

Leave Commercial CHRISTmas in the dust!

"Christmas is all about family and friends."
"Christmas is about the children."
"Christmas is all about giving."
"Christmas is about feasting and goodies"
"The true meaning of Christmas is loving your neighbor."
"Christmas is about St. Nick.".......

Just a sample I have overheard the last month about the meaning of Christmas from strangers, from commercials, from newspapers and magazines. As I walked through JC Penney, and overheard something similar once more,  I thought to myself, 'If I hear one more pagan interpertation of what society feed people as the "TRUE" meaning of CHRISTmas, I am going to have a Clark Griswold worthy meltdown right here in the isle with the jingle socks and Santa legwarmers!" Lucky for me, and for the store employees, no legwear were harmed in the making of this blog and that day as I made it safely to my car with only a "Bah-humbug" and a Grinch-like scowl, abandoning my would-be purchases where I stood. Yup, my friends, a 4 alarm Christmas emergency had happened: Comercial Christmas.

I have a suspicionI may have kept that feeling upon my shoulders all season long, if I had not been blessed with the opportunity the next day to complete my very first book review.  The authors of Raising Real Men Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys (2011 Book of the Year
Christian Small Publishers Association) Hal and Melanie Young, have released a Christmas special titled :

Christ-Centered Christmas

The Ultimate Guide to Celebrating a ChristmasYour Family Will Never Forget

 
This book is such a breath of fresh air! Written from a traditional Christian perspective, the authors bring the focus of the holiday from presents and chaos back to the celebration of the birth of Christ beautifully.  From introducing the history of traditional Christmas decorations and their importance and significance to us as Christians, to sharing their family Christmas traditions and (delicious!) recipes, to  addressing Christmas 'hot topics' within Christian circles (aka Santa Claus), this book encourages, enlightens and reveals the TRUE meaning of Christmas, chapter by chapter.  Chock full of King James Scripture, Christmas hymns and Biblical reference, Christ-Centered Christmas is a quick must-read for anyone feeling the pressures of the Holiday season to refocus on the joy of our Savior.
 
"We decided long ago that celebrating Christmas was not as a matter of biblical obligation – after all, there’s no commandment in the Bible to do so – but it is an excellent opportunity to draw the attention of our children, our family, our friends and our acquaintances to the truth of God’s Word in a winsome way. We rejoice in the Christmas season like the people around us, but with a difference!"

I love this specific reminder, above, which convicted me that all of the overheard murmuring of the "true" meaning of Christmas can be enjoyed and celebrated just from a different perspective. Instead of the society diluted reason for the season, we give with a heart full of Christ just like God did for us by giving us his only Son; by making it all about our friends and family and neighbors by loving them and taking the time for fellowship; we should make sure to encourage our children to feel much joy during Christmas with the focus on Jesus, not on St. Nick; we make sure to feast with hearts full of celebration of the hope that was sent to us on the miraculous night of the first Christmas; and we take this time to center our hearts on our biggest gift of all: a baby born in Bethlehem. Let us leave Commercial Christmas in the dust and go back to our roots.

Well done Hal and Melanie! Thank you for blessing us all with opportunities to use this time of year as a tool for our spiritual walk with the Lord. I remain refreshed from my time with Christ Centered Christmas and I pray you will, too!
 
 

No comments: