"Out of the over flow of the heart, my mouth speaks"
Luke 6:45
What is yours saying? If it isn't saying much it's time to examine your heart.
The other afternoon in the Kroger grocery store (of course, I live there buying cart upon cart of groceries!) I had the opportunity to wait in a very long line. With all of my squirmy, hungry, bored boys and one exhausted baby ready to nurse, how could I call this an opportunity? I didn't say it was a FUN opportunity! 4 people in front of me had their items scanned through the beeper thing, "here's my Kroger card" "Nope, no coupons." "Plastic is fine" all without looking up at the sweet 19ish girl behind the counter. The girl behind the counter wore a smile and watched for the faces of each of them before they said "Yep you, too." and pushed on with their cart.
I have to admit my heart sank a little! When it was our turn to finally step up to the conveyer belt I reminded my brood to stand politely, answer her questions and look her in the eye. She seemed to beam. Beep, Blip, Beep, Blip went the butter eggs and milk while the young lady and I talked about school starting (she would be attending a community college to save money.) and kids (she has 4 neices and 2 nephews). She made baby talk at my bawling baby who actually We paid our (extremely outrageous!) bill I took a moment to pause and encourage her by telling her how much her smile made-my-trip, and the store was very lucky to have a girl like her working in the store. If she could have she might have climbed over the counter to hug me right then and there!
Lets face it: most of us don't do what we do only for the money; seems there's never enough to compensate for hours preparing, driving, post-work and time away from family. Most of us do what we do (or at least started our careers or houswife-ness) with a little of our intrest mixed with the desire to help people. Helping people whether it be a micro-biologist trying to cure cancer, the preschool teacher helping a 4 year old tie his shoes, your secretary that has gone above and beyond to organize your file cabinet, an engineer making cars safer, a barista making your cup of joe just a little bit stronger to help you make it through the day (guilty!), we are all here together just making it through until we can rest in the arms of Jesus.
It is no skin off our nose to tell the waitress busting her butt how great the service was or the hair dresser that you LOVE your style instead of just thinking she knows (if you don't love it be sure to thank her for her stimulating conversation). Why don't we pay more attention? Hug your nurse and show her you appreciate her empathy and dedication while you were at your most vulnerable. Try it for a week, a day, an hour. Tell the camera repair man how much you appreciate his instruction, and your doctor for taking his time not rushing your appointment......yes, I'm sure you can even find a compliment for the Comcast phone operator. Shining Our Light comes not only from the things we do, but our reaction to the things others do for us. Thank you Lord for these opportunities!
3 comments:
Love LOVE LOVE this! I so try to live this way. But you putting it into words so wonderfully, really is a great reminder of how easy it is to make this all-to-often crazy world just a little bit sunnier! Thank you for sharing!
Time to ALWAYS remember to reinforce this simple, but too often forgotten, idea with my girls. A smile, a pat on the back, a simple thank you...it just might be the only sparkle of pleasant a person has in their entire day. And it will fill 2 hearts (yours & theirs) without costing but a moment of your time!
Amen girl! This is so true! It is a testimony to the type of person you are and the faith that you have to even have a chance to notice something like this with all of your crew in toe!
Erin- being in the service industry we make it a practice to praise people even if it is over the 'little things'.
It amazes me at how so SO many people are indifferent. I just wonder have they never felt how good a simple smile and genuine THANK YOU feels? You know they have received it. Is their heart so hardened that they flat out don't feel?
Then I stop myself and say "continue on to my next victim :-) I will convince someone to smile and have a better day today".
Your reminder is so helpful to keep plugging away and being positive. I think you will enjoy knowing that I sent every person that I came in contact with a STARGRAM at the hospital (even down to the custodian). Each and everyone of them made an effort to make me more comfortable, congratulate me or fill my water and deserved that recognition. They made my experience SO positive by all of their "little" gestures that they do for 12 hour shifts for tons of ungrateful or delirious mommies.
**Praise to you wise woman for sending us all a reminder!
Post a Comment